Winter means cozy soup and you will absolutely love this lasagna soup recipe. Every time I make a batch of this soup it disappears. Plus, it’s one of those soups that taste even better after a day or two – if it lasts that long in your house! I’m starting to dabble in more recipes, and it’s fun sharing them.
This lasagna soup is one of the easiest recipes to make EVER. Most recently I tried using sausage links instead of ground sausage and it worked just as well. I was pleasantly surprised. I originally found the recipe on Food Network, but have made it my own over the last few years.
One of my biggest tips is to buy the oven-ready lasagna noodles for this soup. However, if you want traditional lasagna noodles, simply boil them first before you start chopping everything. Don’t forget to sprinkle some olive oil on them so the noodles don’t stick together.
Mixing a few types of cheese like ricotta and the parmesan romano also gives it this rich, creamy taste. It’s not overly heavy, and it’s a no-fuss recipe. I’ve played with the ingredients over time and tweaking the quantity of each ingredient doesn’t change the recipe by much. It’s new-cook approved! Ready for the recipe?
Italian Sausage Lasagna Soup
- 8 oz oven ready lasagna noodles (about 10 noodles)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, links or ground
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 15oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil save some for topping
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan romano cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream can substitute with half & half
- 1 small carton ricotta cheese
- Chop one onion, mince 2 cloves of garlic and slice sausage links if not using ground italian sausage.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in dutch oven or deep pot. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the 1/2 pound sausage, 2 minced cloves garlic and 1 tsp oregano and cook, stirring and breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the sausage is browned, about 3 minutes. Add the 3 tbsp tomato paste and cook, stirring, until darkened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the 4 cups chicken broth, 1-15oz can crushed tomatoes and 1 cup water; cover and bring to a simmer, about 5 minutes.
- Add 8oz (about 10) oven-ready lasagna noodles one at a time. Uncover and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Check on the noodles every 2 minutes to ensure they're not sticking together.
- Stir in the basil, parmesan and heavy cream; simmer 2 more minutes.
- Divide the soup among bowls. Top with ricotta and sliced basil.
Affectionately known to her friends as Millennial Martha for her love of DIY and decorating, Jen can’t help but pour her heart + soul into everything she touches. She’s loved to entertain since acquiring a table and chairs, and giving gifts is one of her favorite hobbies. Jen is the creator of Girl Meets Party. Her dream is to share her passions with the world in hopes to inspire others by making the seemingly unattainable attainable.